Facilities and Services Questions


Open visiting is encouraged, however, to maintain privacy and dignity for all residents, visiting prior to 10.30am and after 7.30pm should be arranged with the Registered Nurse. The front gates of Lulworth House are closed overnight. Details about after-hours access for visitors are available at Reception.


There are several dining options available for residents and their relatives. Residents can enjoy their meals with other residents in the communal dining rooms, on each level; residents can choose to have their meal in their room on their own; residents can be assisted to eat by their family in a number of areas, including the resident’s room, the private dining room, the Garden Room, the verandah on ground level and the patio on Level 2 North. Visitors can also purchase meals from the facility for a nominal fee and eat with the resident in the resident’s room or any of the areas mentioned above.

What does a typical menu look like?

We have appealing menu choices at lunch and dinner each day. All meals are prepared in our own kitchen by our chef using the freshest ingredients and are of excellent quality. Click here to see a Lulworth sample menu.

Can I have wine with my meals?

Yes, we are happy to order red or white wine for you (subject to doctor's orders) and we offer a choice of quality wine, beer, and soft drinks at main meals.

Can I stay out overnight if I want to visit someone?

Yes, of course. The only restriction is the government requirement that you don't stay outside the facility for more than 52 nights per year.

Can I have my own doctor?

Yes certainly, provided he or she is willing to come and visit you. Alternatively we have a list of St Luke's accredited General Practitioners who can visit you as needed. Please discuss with our admissions manager.

What about medications?

For your convenience, we provide your required medications and arrange the billing for you.

Can I have my own furniture?

Yes, of course, we want you to feel at home. Many of our residents bring a favourite chair, a side cabinet, pictures and ornaments with them. We do insist that you use our bed as it electrically operated for occupational health and safety reasons. We also discourage rugs as they can be a hazard for tripping.

What happens with sheets and towels?

For your convenience we supply all the fresh linen daily and launder it for you.

What other services do I have to pay for?

We provide at no extra charge therapy services, such as recreational, podiatry, occupational and physiotherapy services, relaxation therapy, art and activity classes and outings on our bus. However, you will need to pay for the hairdresser, manicurist and beautician if you choose to use their services. Internet and Foxtel are available free in common areas and can both be connected in your room for an extra charge.

Finance and Administration Questions

What are accommodation bonds?

Accommodation bonds or refundable accommodation deposits (RADs) are payable for all residents entering permanent care at Lulworth House. In accordance with current legislation, the refundable deposit (RAD) can be paid as a lump sum amount, or by means of a daily accommodation payment (DAP), or a combination of both. Refund of any deposit paid (less any outstanding fees) is guaranteed. The current level of RAD and DAP is available here.

Are there additional costs?

Yes, the Australian Government provides funding to aged care facilities and sets the basic daily care fee for residents to pay, with further amounts to be paid according to the resident’s assessed income. Lulworth House is classified as an ‘extra service’ facility and residents pay an additional daily ‘extra service' amount dependent on room type. Our admissions manager and accountant will be happy to discuss the options available and work through the financial choices with you so that you have a clear picture of financial arrangements.

How do you enter St Luke's Lulworth House?

First you will require an ACAT assessment of your health and circumstances to confirm your eligibility to enter an aged care facility. Contact details can be found on the Australian Government's My Aged Care website www.myagedcare.gov.au or call the My Aged Care contact centre on 1800 200 422. When you call the My Aged Care contact centre, you will be asked for your consent to create a personalised client record. Your record will include up-to-date information on your needs and the results of any assessments or services that you receive. Only you, your nominated representative, your assessor and service providers will be able to access relevant information in your record. Then you will need to complete a Lulworth House application form and other documentation. This is a standard form of information that we need and is available from our admissions manager, who is able to assist you to complete this information if required.

How does the assessment work?

You will be contacted by a member of the Aged Care Assessment Team in your area who will make an appointment to visit you for an interview. The assessment team will ask you a number of questions during the interview and these are designed to help them work out the best care for you. You might want to ask a family member, friend or carer to be present during your assessment. It's also helpful to make a list of your current medications before assessment. With your approval, your doctor may tell the assessment team member about your medical history.

What kind of aged care do you need?

The Aged Care Assessment Team will look at your needs and provide you with information and help advise whether you are eligible for Australian Government subsidised care. The degrees of care include:

  • Residential care in an accredited aged care facility
  • Help to keep you living at home through Community Aged Care programs
  • Respite care for High or Low level (short term care) at an aged care facility

St Luke's can offer assistance with all these levels of aged care.

What about your assessment results?

Assessment by the Aged Care Assessment Team is the key to you receiving an Australian Government subsidy for the cost of your aged care. They will discuss with you whether you need community help to continue living at home, or if your needs would be better met in an aged care facility. If this is the case, they will discuss the level of care that you require. At the end of the interview, they will explain your assessment results and will then, once approved, provide a copy of the report to you. If you have been assessed by the team as eligible to enter an aged care facility, you can start applying to aged care facilities that suit your needs.

What happens when you are offered a place at St Luke's Lulworth House?

You will be asked to enter into two resident agreements, a pre-admission agreement and an admission agreement. These agreements will formally set out the respective rights and obligations between yourself and St Luke’s Care, Lulworth House. The permanent agreement outlines the services to be provided, including the ‘extra services’ as well as the refundable deposit (RAD) or  daily accommodation payment (DAP) care fees and means tested fees which are payable.

As these agreements set all the arrangements for your residency, including fees, charges and accommodation matters, we strongly recommend that you and your representative seek independent advice to look at the agreements, including your solicitor and financial advisor.

If you have more questions or would like more information, please don't hesitate to contact the admissions manager on (02) 8080 5727.

Useful Links

Links to valuable aged care information and organisations

Alzheimer's Association of NSW
PO Box 6042
North Ryde NSW 2113
02 9805 0100
Dementia Helpline: 1800 639 331

Arthritis NSW
Locked Bag 16
Post Office North Parramatta NSW 2151
1800 011 041

Australian Hearing
126 Greville Street
Chatswood NSW 2067
02 9412 6800

Black Dog Institute
(Depression and Bipolar Disorder)
Hospital Road
Prince of Wales Hospital
Randwick NSW 2031
02 8382 4540

Diabetes Australia – NSW
GPO Box 9824
Sydney NSW 2001
1300 136 588

Glaucoma Australia
PO Box 420
Crows Nest NSW 1585
1800 500 880

Macular Degeneration Foundation of Australia
Suite 302, 477 Kent Street
Sydney NSW 2000
1800 111 709

Vision Australia
PO Box 176
Burwood NSW 1805
1300 847 466

If you’re caring for someone, there is a range of organisations and programs that may be able to help you – whether by providing respite care to help you take a break, or through counselling, information and advocacy services. Please click here for the list.